Here is a series of fundamental points, and then a question:
- To pay off our existing debts we need the economy to grow
- Economists are expecting there will be a source of energy to power that growth
- But cheap oil has run out, oil is ‘peaking’ — supply may match but will no longer exceed demand, and the trend is towards less oil
- Energy people are expecting there will be money to invest in new energy technologies
- But how can there be new money if we can’t service the existing debts…?
The economy is a complex adaptive system.
The laws of physics say that to maintain complexity you have to put energy in, otherwise entropy rises.
Without that energy, it will ‘shift’ to a simpler state.
There is an alternative. Biology shows us that it is possible to have a diverse and thriving system, based on low energy inputs. Permaculture shows us how to manage and optimise such systems. Permabusiness shows us the activities needed to maintain a business as a complex adaptive system, a living organism.